English as a Foreign Language (EFL) Teacher required for a small, friendly school near the Meadows in Newington, Edinburgh.
- Starting 24th February 2020
- Permanent, year-round position
- 20 hours per week, additional afternoon hours are very often available
- 09:30 - 13:20 Monday - Friday and 18:00 - 19:50 Monday and Wednesday
- £14.35 to £14.65/hour
- 6 weeks paid holiday
- Adult classes only (from aged 16+), General, Exam and Business English
Only apply if you meet all of these requirements:
1. have EFL TEACHING EXPERIENCE with groups of adults, normally 2 years FTE or more
2. have a CELTA or equivalent. Equivalent is what the British Council refer to as TEFLI (TEFL Initial). If you are not sure, take a look at their accreditation handbook, section 4.2. Online TEFL qualifications don't qualify as the course must have included observed teaching practice by a qualified teacher trainer with real students (not coursemates).
3. have an undergraduate DEGREE. Exceptions can be made in rare circumstances (such as substantial EFL experience and training).
4. are living in Edinburgh or will be in the next few weeks.
5. are a native English speaker or have CPE grade A or equivalent.
6. already have the right to work in the UK.
We frequently receive applications from candidates who are not native-equivalent English speakers or don't meet these minimum requirements. Please don't waste your time or ours if you don't meet all of these requirements. You must have group EFL experience, not just generic teaching or tutoring experience and we cannot sponsor work visas.
To allow us to more fairly compare candidates, please copy and paste this list and include it in your cover email:
1. CELTA (or equivalent) qualification and year obtained:
2. Undergraduate Degree and year obtained:
3. Years of EFL experience (full-time equivalent):
4. Countries you have taught EFL in:
5. Languages you have studied:
6. Current location:
7. Date available from:
8. Mobile phone number:
We will then contact successful candidates for a telephone interview.
Send a short cover email and CV to Jenny at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 14th February. It is a good idea to include reference letters from previous employers if you have them.
If you have any specific questions about the position that are not addressed here, please feel free to call 07846597548. We do our best to respond to every applicant, however, as we receive a large number of applications this is not always possible.
Good luck with your application!
Please note that as you may be working with students under the age of 18, your references will be followed up and the school will apply for Enhanced Disclosure through Disclosure Scotland. Any gaps in employment will need to be satisfactorily explained and proof of identity will be required.
We encourage candidates to submit an Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form which you will find at the bottom of this page.
Are you a CELTA-qualified, native-speaking English Teacher?
Do you have experience teaching English as a second language?
Are you a friendly and enthusiastic teacher who cares about their students' progress?
Are you a great person to work with?
If the answer to these questions is yes, please send your CV to email@example.com with a covering letter. When a vacancy becomes available, we can then contact suitable candidates. We advertise vacancies on Edinburgh Gumtree. You can set up a Gumtree 'alert' for "Alba English" so that you will receive an email notification whenever we publish a job advertisement.
We recognize that it is unlawful, unethical and against the best interests of both Alba English School and individuals for an employer to discriminate against a candidate for a job because of their age, disability, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity in any part of the recruitment process. Alba English School will treat all applications fairly and equally and adhere to the Equal Opportunities legislation.
We encourage candidates to submit an Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form.