If you need a driving licence because of that job, or if you are planning to hire a car to explore the beautiful Highlands on your holidays, here you can find everything you need to know to become a truly expert British driver!

First, find below which applies to you (1, 2 or 3)

1. I’ve got a driving licence from my country (or an international driving licence permit)

If you already hold a driving licence from your country, you must find out if you can drive in Great Britain (Scotland, England and Wales) on your non-GB licence by answering the questions on the official website. Check here if you can drive in the UK on your foreign licence.

You will see that, in general, the following rules apply, depending on where you are from (but there are some exceptions and special conditions, so it’s very important to check the website above to access the most accurate information):

* I’m from an European country: if you've got a driving licence from a European Union (EU) country, you can usually drive in Great Britain for as long as your licence is valid, or until you're 70. No fees, you are ready to go!

* I’m from a non-European Union country: if you’ve got a non-European Union (EU) driving licence or international driving permit, you can usually drive in Great Britain for up to 12 months. After 12 months you’ll need to take a theory test and practical test and get a driving licence issued in Great Britain.
Click here to see car and motorcycle theory test fees. Click here to see car and motorcycle practical driving test fees. If you wish to exchange your foreign driving licence for a British licence, you can check if you are eligible here.

2. I don’t have a driving licence

If you don’t have a driving licence and wish to drive in Great Britain (Scotland, England and Wales), you must apply for your first Provisional Driving Licence. You can do it either on line or by going to a Post Office and filling out a form named: Application for a driving licence for a car, moped or motorcycle. Here you can find all you need to know about your provisional driving licence. Important: you will need to give your National Insurance number. Find out how to apply for one here.

3. I’ve already got a British Driving Licence and I wish to renew it

If you want to renew your British Driving Licence, you can apply here.

4. I want to know the FEES

Click here to access all you need to know about British Driving Licence fees.

If you still have any questions and/or want to find out more information, access the DVLA (Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency) website. The DVLA is the UK Government organisation responsible for maintaining a database of drivers vehicles in Great Britain. This is the agency that issues driving licences.

Now you are ready to go… Good luck and drive safe!