If you’re looking to improve your English skills, you’ve come to the right place. As a British Council-accredited language school, we asked our English teacher to share 15 top tips for improving your English:
- Read as much as possible in English, from newspaper articles and blogs to novels. This will help you improve your vocabulary and reading comprehension. There is no bad reading; if you like social media, find channels you enjoy on Instagram & TikTok.
- Listen to radio shows, podcasts, or songs in English. This will help you improve your listening skills and get used to different accents and styles of speech. On Spotify & Apple Music, you can have real-time lyrics showing up!
- Watch TV shows, movies, and videos in English. This will help you improve your comprehension of spoken English and expose you to different situations and contexts. Use the subtitles at the beginning and try to use them less and less to force yourself to focus on words, sentence structure and accents.
- Practice speaking English as much as possible, even if it’s just with yourself. You can also practice with a language exchange partner or a tutor.
- Set specific language goals for yourself and track your progress. This will help you stay motivated and see the results of your hard work. Don’t forget to check the student portal if you are already studying with us!
- Use flashcards or apps like Quizlet to help you memorize vocabulary words and phrases.
- Join our social programme, an English club or group where you can practice speaking and listening with other learners.
- Use English language media to immerse yourself in the language, such as reading English news articles or watching English-language TV shows.
- Keep a journal in English to practice writing and express your thoughts and feelings in the language.
- Try to think in English as much as possible. This will help you improve your fluency and speed up your thinking process in the language.
- Use English-language textbooks and workbooks to practice grammar and other language skills.
- Use language-learning apps like Duolingo or Babbel to supplement your learning and practice different language skills.
- Find an English-speaking pen pal or conversation partner online to practice your writing and speaking skills.
- Don’t be afraid to make mistakes! Making mistakes is a natural part of the language-learning process and can help you learn and improve.
- Finally, practice, practice, practice! The more you practice, the more confident and proficient you will become in English.
We hope these tips help you on your English-learning journey. Good luck and happy learning!
Of course, if you are not yet a student at Alba English School, what are you waiting for?! Join us today!