Join Our Team as Director of Studies (DOS) / Academic Manager
Shape the Future of Language Education with Alba English School in Edinburgh.
We are a well-established independent language school for adults in Edinburgh committed to providing year-round, high-quality teaching within a friendly and supportive environment.
As Academic Manager, you will be an experienced DELTA-qualified (or Dip TESOL-qualified) teacher ready to take responsibility for a variety of roles, namely the delivery of English courses to adult learners (over 16s). You will have your own classes to teach while running a small team of English teachers, ensuring a high standard of teaching and maintaining a positive learning environment across the school.
This role is ideal for applicants who have a passion for learning, excellent organisational and problem-solving skills, are flexible and efficient and able to take the initiative whilst remaining calm under pressure. You will be able to quickly build a professional and friendly rapport with staff and students. You will be able to deal with any problems as they arise in a professional and fair manner.
The Academic Manager will be responsible for
- Ensuring a friendly, positive and supportive work and learning environment for teachers and students
- Overseeing the delivery of high-quality English courses, including course design and teacher deployment
- Maintaining and developing the syllabus
- Student satisfaction and welfare
- The Role of Designated Safeguarding Lead
- Professional development workshops
- Lesson observations, feedback and providing support
- Monitoring students’ progress and providing support
- Teacher recruitment and training
- Keeping up to date with the school manager
- Covering reception when needed
- Student placements and testing
- Teaching English to adults
- Friendly and supportive work environment
- Permanent position
- Teaching work in July and August with a view to starting the Academic Management role in September
- DELTA or Dip TESOL and university degree
- Minimum 3 years of full-time teaching experience
- Experience in teaching a range of courses, including General English, Cambridge exam preparation, IELTS, Business English
- Outstanding teaching skills
- Passion for learning and teaching
- Understanding the importance of student satisfaction
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Teacher training and development experience
- Personal qualities: creative, willing to share knowledge, positive, hard-working, pro-active attitude
- PVG Scheme or DBS checked
- Previous experience in an Academic Manager, Training or Director of Studies role
- Experience in course design
- Experience in teacher recruitment
- Specialist Safeguarding Training, first aid training
Salary and Hours
- Monday – Friday 37.5 hours per week
- £26,500 – £28,000 per year
- Start Date: 1st of September (or early July) 2023
How to apply
Please note you must hold a DELTA or DipTESOL Certification.
We recognize that it is unlawful, unethical and against the best interests of both Alba English School and individuals for an employer to discriminate against a candidate for a job because of their age, disability, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity in any part of the recruitment process. Alba English School will treat all applications fairly and equally and adhere to the Equal Opportunities legislation.